Director Product Specialist, Responsible Investment, German speaking
Introduction: BMO Global Asset Management
Responsible Investment at BMO Global Asset Management
BMO is a global asset manager with £227 (€253) billion of assets under management (31 December 2020), managed across our centres in North America, EMEA and Asia Pacific. They have built their business around a progressive investment philosophy, focusing on delivering returns for our clients while driving positive change in the world around us.
They consider themselves to have been original champions of change. BMO launched Europe's first ethical fund over 35 years ago, and was a pioneer in stewardship services with the launch of our engagement and voting overlay service (reo®) over 20 years ago. BMO were a founding signatory to the UN Principles for Responsible Investment initiative, and they take their responsibility seriously.
The responsible investment approach can be characterised by four pillars:
- Thought leadership: BMO strives to be responsible investment advocates and thought leaders on key ESG issues and their relevance to investors, and bring a constructive investor voice to standard setting in public policy.
- Active ownership: BMO works closely with the companies that they, or our clients, invest in to improve management of ESG issues and bring about positive change. We use our influence and expertise, supported by data, to engage on behalf of £361 billion of BMO GAM and reo® client holdings. We support our engagement work with the thoughtful exercise of our voting rights.
- ESG integration: BMO ensures that all relevant ESG factors are considered in their investment analysis in a way that is meaningful to each asset class and strategy to provide a more comprehensive and rounded risk and opportunity perspective.
- Funds and solutions: BMO offers a comprehensive range of funds and solutions structured around sustainable and responsible criteria. They currently manage £6.3 billion (€7 billion) assets in these strategies at December 2020.
BMO has a large dedicated resource supporting our activities in the form of the 21-person Responsible Investment (RI) team, working globally and based in London, Amsterdam and Toronto. The RI team is made up of ESG specialists who are passionate about making a difference. Now is an exciting time to join the team as BMO has ambitious plans in this space. BMO is seeking highly motivated, passionate individuals to help them continue to innovate and be a leading asset manager in responsible investment. If you’d like to join them on their journey, please get in touch.
BMO is looking for a Product Specialist in our Responsible Investment team, primarily to drive our Responsible Engagement Overlay (reo®) business in the German speaking DACH regions. Additionally, the individual will work together with the other ESG/RI professionals in the Netherlands to support RI business development in other high growth RI channels across Europe and within their Fiduciary business.
Our German business is well developed and has strong positive momentum. Delivering a high-quality local language service for this market is essential to maintain their position and capitalise on the growth opportunity, including cross selling and innovating solutions to meet rapidly emerging client needs in Responsible Investment.
- Lead the Responsible Engagement Overlay (reo®) service in Germany and German speaking DACH regions. Work with the client management team in Germany to manage the existing German reo® clients, delivering regular updates on engagement activity and responding to ad hoc requests for support on RI issues as appropriate.
- Oversee the delivery of the German reo® business – fees, service delivery, client reports, and developments to the service
- Pitch for new reo® business in the German speaking DACH regions, and seek cross selling opportunities for the funds
- Promote BMO GAM’s leadership in responsible investment in these regions
- Assist in the preparation of materials for presentations, and as appropriate, present and participate in relevant conferences, seminars and round tables on responsible investing – both to BMO employees (investment and distribution) as well as the wider market
- Assist in the coordination of responsible investment activity across distribution and investment teams across Europe, which is a growing market for BMO
- Create and articulate Responsible value proposition, capabilities, and thought leadership
- Ensure prospect and client materials, including reporting, is of the highest possible standard
- Manage large RFPs so they delivered within the deadline and at a high quality
- Work closely with the Responsible Investment team based in London and Amsterdam to showcase our ESG credentials, results and thought leadership. Also work closely with the German client team based in Frankfurt.
Required experience, skills and competencies
- Preferred candidates will have at least 10 years of relevant experience, including client management experience, in asset management, stewardship services, pension funds, or relevant adjacencies e.g. investment consulting
- Strong understanding of ESG issues and the market for responsible investment in Europe including the regulatory context
- Excellent written verbal and communication skills. A natural communicator, able to engagingly describe and convey the value of engagement activity to the client. Confident in presenting to small and large audiences on ESG issues
- Fluency in German and English are required
- Ability to effectively manage priorities
- Strong influencer, but with an ability to listen to and take onboard ideas of others to get to better outcomes
- An ability to work autonomously when required, but also as part of a broader team, with a strong sense of collaboration
- Comfortable with taking on responsibility and being accountable for deliverables
BMO is guided in this recruitment procedure by Josephine van der Vossen, partner at Partners at Work. She will conduct the first interviews with potential candidates. A pre-employment screening and/or assessment can be part of the selection procedure. You can upload your CV and motivation by pushing the button SOLLICITEER.
For more information about this vacancy please contact Josephine van der Vossen; 035 – 548 0760 / 06-5539 0335.Solliciteer