Lid Raad van Toezicht Oxfam Novib
Oxfam Novib is part of a global movement of people with the shared mission for a just and sustainable world. They stand in solidarity with courageous activists demanding radical change: from tackling injustice in trade and tax systems, and demanding ambitious and fair climate policies, to championing equal rights for all. Oxfam Novib brings people, businesses and governments together and challenges them to realize change. All over the world and in the Netherlands.
Oxfam Novib is an organization with a strong constituency of Dutch supporters and more than 65 years of experience in international cooperation. They are part of the Oxfam confederation that is active in 90 countries to bring a strong and united voice to the world stage. Together with their colleagues, partners and local communities, they work on systemic change and concrete results for people.
They are committed to Oxfam Novib’s core values of empowerment, accountability, inclusiveness, courage, solidarity and equality. They walk the talk on their feminist principles, values, vision and responsibilities, and report transparently on these matters.
Oxfam Novib is currently looking for one new member of its Board of Supervisors who shares their vision of a just and sustainable world.
Member Board of Supervisors
For the vacancy, they are looking particularly for experience and expertise in:
Business Finance (for example financial management, business administration, audit), Operations and / or Organizational Development
Your role as supervisor
As a member of the Board of Supervisors you have the mandate to assess and oversee the work of the Board of Directors, delivering their management responsibility -independently and thoroughly- through the strategic, planning and implementation stages. Your role is to approve plans related to core policy areas and strategic decisions, to supervise implementation and evaluation of these plans and ensure that strategic decisions are aligned with Oxfam Novib vision, and as always based on a sound analysis of risks. Moreover, as the formal employer of all four directors, you have the collective responsibility to appoint and monitor the functioning and integrity of the directors. Lastly, the Board of Supervisors also acts as an advisor and sounding board to the Board of Directors.
Together with another member, you will work closely with the Works Council of Oxfam Novib and jointly have bilateral meetings with the Works Council around 5 times a year. Lastly, the Board of Supervisors also acts as an advisor and sounding board to the Board of Directors.
The way of working of the Board of Supervisors
- The BoS consists of seven members, who:
- strive for diversity in their membership of backgrounds, skills and competences,
- work in a collegial spirit, while taking an independent and critical attitude towards each other and the Board of Directors,
- have no direct interest in or any relations with the Oxfam Novib foundation,
- display unity: with each member speaking on behalf of the Board of Supervisors to external stakeholders as one voice,
- meets 6-7 times a year as a team, with additional committee meetings.
Who are they looking for?
Preferable qualities of the new member of BoS are the following. You
- fully endorse Oxfam Novib’s mission and values and are excited to contribute, challenge and strengthen Oxfam Novib’s course,
- follow developments in the field of international cooperation and activism and you have a vision and knowledge of global relations,
- proven experience with Finance, Accounting, Audit, Operations or Organizational Development, preferably in a professional and international environment,
- are able to conduct an open dialogue with the Board of Directors and you can question them critically but constructively,
- have feminist leadership qualities and general managerial experience,
- have a broad social and professional network and you are well connected to current societal development,
- are fluent in English,
- are available for this task for about 3 half days per month.
- are interested in joining the Financial Committee of the Board of Supervisors
Oxfam Novib is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in its workplace. They strive to create a work environment where everyone feels welcome and appreciated; guided by our core values of inclusiveness, accountability, and empowerment. The Board of Supervisors champions these values and therefore warmly invites people from all backgrounds to apply.
Recruitment and appointment
Members of the Board of Supervisors are recruited through a public procedure and appointed for a three-year term, with the option of up to two reappointments.
What they offer?
At Oxfam, they believe that every aspect of the work can lead to a positive outcome. If you have the same opinion, together with the ability to meet the challenges involved, this role offers a great opportunity for you to contribute to their mission – as well as outstanding opportunities to develop your career.
Oxfam Novib is guided in this recruitment procedure by Christine Changoer and Josephine van der Vossen, partners at Partners at Work. They will conduct the first interviews with potential candidates. A pre-employment screening and/or assessment can be part of the selection procedure. You can upload your CV and motivation via SOLLICITEER
Please contact Partners at Work for more information; 035 – 548 0760.Solliciteer